Whether you are training your dog or just looking for a tasty reward, homemade dog treats are a wonderful option. When you make your own homemade dog treats you have complete control over everything that goes into them – you don’t have to worry about artificial preservatives or unnatural ingredients. Here are five quick and easy recipes for homemade dog treats that your pooch is sure to love:
- Frozen Peanut Butter Treats – To make your own frozen peanut butter dog treats all you need is 4 cups of Greek yogurt, 1/2 cup of all natural peanut butter, 1 ripe banana and a few tablespoons of almond milk. Combine all of the ingredients in a food processor or blender and blend until smooth. Pour the mixture into an ice cube tray or silicone baking mold and freeze until solid.
- Peanut Butter Bacon Treats – Start off by cooking the bacon until it is crisp then transfer it to a paper towel with a slotted spoon. Whisk the peanut butter, water, honey, and egg into the warm bacon fat then stir in the flours and flaxseed. Roll out the dough on a floured surface to about ¼-inch thick then cut out the treats using cookie cutters. Bake them for 12 to 15 minutes at 300°F until browned.
- Homemade Beef Jerky Treats – Start off by preheating your oven to 200°F and put a wire cooling rack inside a cookie sheet lined with foil. Freeze a sirloin steak for an hour or so until it is just slightly frozen but still pliable. Trim away the excess fat and slice the beef into ¼-inch slices. Lay the strips on the cooling rack inside the cookie sheet and bake for 2 hours, turning the racks every 30 minutes. Turn off the oven and cool the jerky until it is fully dried.
- Carob Peanut Butter Treats – Combine 2 cups whole wheat flour, ¾ cup rolled oats, and 1 ½ tablespoons of carob powder in a mixing bowl. Whisk together 1 cup of melted all natural peanut butter into 1 cup of skim milk then stir the mixture into the dry ingredients. Roll the dough into 1-inch balls and arrange them on a parchment-lined cookie sheet then bake for 15 minutes at 350°F and cool completely before serving.
- Cheesy Dog Treats – In a mixing bowl, combine ½ cup each of shredded cheddar and parmesan cheese with 3 tablespoons of canola oil. Stir in 1 ½ cups of whole-wheat flour, ¼ cup of powdered dry milk, and 2 teaspoons of salt. Knead the dough by hand, adding up to ½ cup of water, until it starts to stick together. Roll out the dough to ¼-inch thick and cut out the treats using a cookie cutter. Bake the treats for 25 to 30 minutes at 350°F until golden brown.
All of these homemade dog treat recipes are quick and easy to prepare. Feel free to use special cookie cutters to make holiday- or birthday-themed treats and give them away as gifts! Comment and let us know how these treats came out for you!